Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My Grant

Upon hearing of Lewis and Clark’s safe return, one Senator remarked “it was as if they had returned from the moon.”  This grant will provide a “moon trip” opportunity to follow the journey of Lewis and Clark and to do the one thing they could not do; photograph their adventure.  

Many students have never traveled across the United States.  Therefore, my classroom is filled with posters of places I've been over the years so my students can see the places we are exploring in class.  Visual learners need more than the descriptions in textbooks to understand the vastness and geographic diversity of America.  Words do not adequately describe places and pictures are often worth a thousand words. 

Each year as I teach westward expansion I've often wondered if I would have had the "pioneer spirit" of our forefathers.  Would I have been willing to leave everything behind to explore new territory?  So, in November 2010 I applied for an Eli Lilly Teacher Creativity Fellowship Program Grant to follow the trail of Lewis and Clark as they explored the Louisiana Purchase and have the chance to photograph the adventure along the way to use in my classroom. 

On February 24 (two days after my birthday) I arrived home to find an envelope from Eli Lilly informing me I had been awarded the grant.  Needless to say, I was beyond excited! Now travel plans could be made for my journey. I will be doing the journey in two phases.  Phase one will begin on June 9 and will cover the Great Plains portion of the journey with a final destination of Fort Mandan where Lewis and Clark spent the first winter.  Phase two will begin on July 6 when my husband and I will fly to Helena, Montana and follow their route through Montana, Idaho, Washington and Oregon ending up at Fort Clatsop, in Astoria, Oregon.  

I am excited to have this wonderful opportunity to finally see all the places I've taught to my students over the years.  I also hope you will enjoy my blogs as I begin the journey this summer!

Mrs. V

No comments:

Post a Comment